Aromatherapy is the healing of mind, body and soul using beautiful fragrances and scented essential oils. This is a pure and unadulterated natural remedy to many aches, stress and dull moods etc. The essential oils that are used in this therapy are concentrated extracts which are derived from the roots, leaves and blossoms of herbs.
The healing properties in these oils are determined by the active ingredients present in them. Unlike perfumes, the fragrances obtained from the essential oils are completely natural and provide therapeutic benefits too. Essential oils are very powerful in their concentrated form. This is the reason they are not directly applied onto the skin. This is why it is popularly used in massages, as the oils easily penetrate the skin layers and then enter the bloodstream, in turn providing the body with physical therapeutic benefits.
They are first diluted with carrier oils like vegetable oil, apricot kernel oil or sweet almond oil. When two different essential oils are mixed with carrier oil, the result is always more effective in soothing the pain and calming the mind. But only professionals with experience know the formulations and this is the reason why aromatherapy is mostly practiced in spas and parlours.
however, many of the essential oils widely sold today are not appropriate for health care. Many are not derived from medicinal plants at all, but are artificial substances synthesized in a laboratory without healing properties. Even “natural” and “genuine” essential oils are commonly adulterated.
Aromatherapy is used emotionally to invigorate, calm, relieve stress and more, and physically to help relieve certain conditions by stimulating the immune system, circulatory system and nervous system. Following are few aromatherapy benefits:
- The most popular beneficial effect of aromatherapy is in relieving stress and calming down tensed moods, behaviors, and bodies. Thus, using aromatherapy for sleep is very effective as well as easing stressful situations. This is due to the fact that the scents and essential oils affect the body so that cortisone, the primary hormone that causes stress, is decreased. There are a few essential oils that specifically deal with stress and many other health conditions causing or resulting from stress. To deal with high levels of anxiety use essential oils such as Palma rose, basil, juniper, frankincense or geranium. To handle depression or guilt, nutmeg, rose, lavender or bergamot are your excellent choices.
- This is why aromatherapy sessions are so popular at spas and wellness centers.
Aromatherapy along with massage is two of the best ways to unwind and de-stress. In turn, these sessions help people to relax their muscles, aid in blood circulation, reduce fatigue, anxiety, depression, and increase alertness and energy. Aromatherapy helps remove dead cells from the body and stimulates the growth of new, healthy cells, thus energizing your body and mind.
- Peppermint oil, rosemary oil, tea tree oil, sweet orange oil etc have the common function of providing relief to cold symptoms like blocked nose and sore throat etc. Inhalation of the aromas that emanate from a bowl of scented hot water is enough to clear the congestion and bring instant relief.
- More aromatherapy benefits include helping the body fight off infections and inflammation, reduce fatigue, and also stimulate the immune system. Thus, aromatherapy is now being used as an alternative complement to the treatment of cancer patients.
- Aromatherapy is excellent to treat back pain, headaches, psoriasis, stretch marks and other minor problems. It also helps cure psychological problems such as panic attack, stress, depression and lack of concentration.
Although these oils promise tons of aromatherapy benefits, you must still remember that some of them can be detrimental to certain conditions. If you have a medical condition, or if you are pregnant, please consult with a health practitioner before utilizing extensively.
Aromatherapy affects your skin, your hair, your muscles, joints, respiratory system, nervous system, digestion and circulation. It can also improve your emotional state, focus and concentration, and more. The effects of aromatherapy are numerous. No other modality influences body, mind and spirit as completely as aromatherapy.