A favorite oil used in Aromatherapy is orange essential oil. It has a fresh, sweet, citrus smell and is valuable treatment oil for many ailments. The oil is extracted from the fruit of the Orange plant (Citrus Sinensis) by cold-press method and it is best to only use organic, cold-pressed oils to avoid chemical toxicity. The active ingredient in the oil is d-limonene, which gives the oil its amazing fragrance.
This fragrance of orange oil is said to have great calming effects on the body and mind of a person and hence, is used to relax a person and elevate a stressed and depressed mood. Therapists use this multipurpose oil in a wide variety of applications. Sweet and bitter orange essential oils offer a magnitude of health benefits and therapeutic properties. Some of these include:
- The first and most basic use of orange essential oil is aromatherapy. Here, it is extensively used to treat anxiety by acting as a sedative. The oil is known to soothe nerves and eradicate stress and hypertension. After a long day’s work, there is nothing more relaxing than using orange flavored oil and rejuvenating.
- Orange essential oil is wonderful for scenting bath water or creating your own after-bath perfume.
Inhaling the scent of fresh oranges or orange essential oils in the middle of winter really does bring a little sunshine into the house and make you feel happier.
- Gas formation in the intestine can lead to chest pain, indigestion and uneasiness. Gas also increases the blood pressure and puts your heart under trouble. Orange essential oil acts as a carminative and helps in relaxing the abdominal muscles, paving way for the gases to escape easily.
- Oange essential oil is shown to promote the production of collagen as well as increase the blood flow to the skin. It is helpful at soothing dry, irritated skin as well as acne-prone skin. It is excellent for rubbing on calluses on the feet.
- Sweet Orange essential oil encourages detoxification by acting as a diuretic. It also stimulates the lymphatic system, the bladder and kidneys. Increased urination assists in the elimination of toxins like uric acid, bile and excess salts and helps relieve fluid retention. Detox and cleansing properties help breakdown and eliminate cellulite.
Although orange essential oil has many uses and is safe to use, it has a number of side effects that you should know about such as exhibiting photo-toxicity (toxic in the sunlight).
Avoid exposure to the sun after applying orange oil to your skin. Before applying orange or any essential oil to your skin, test a small area first. Do not ingest essential oils. They’re for external use only.